Supreme Court Judge P. Sathasivam will be appointed as the next Chief Justice of India (CJI) after the retirement of present incumbent Altamas Kabir’s tenure.
President Pranab Mukherjee has given his nod for the appointment of Sathasivam as the next Chief Justice. Sathasivam, who will be the 40th CJI, will have tenure till April 26, 2014.
Altamas Kabir (born 19 July 1948, Kolkata) is the 39th Chief Justice of India who assumed office on 29 September 2012. After tenure of a little over nine months, he is due to retire on 18 July 2013.
- P. Sathasivam, B.A., B.L., – born on April 27, 1949 (Tamil Nadu)
- Enrolled as an Advocate on July 25, 1973 at Madras.
- Practiced in all types of Writ, Civil and Criminal matters, Company Petition, Insolvency Petitions, Habeas Corpus Petitions both on Original and Appellate sides of the Madras High Court.
- Worked as Government Advocate, Additional Government Pleader, Special Government Pleader in the Madras High Court.
- Also worked as Legal Adviser for several State owned Transport Corporations, Municipalities, Nationalized Banks etc.
- Appointed as a permanent Judge of the Madras High Court on January 8, 1996.
- Transferred to the Punjab & Haryana High Court on 20.04.2007.
- Appointed as a Judge of the Supreme Court of India on 21.08.2007.
- Due to retire on 27.04.2014 (F.N.)