Please Note: Revised Date of TNPSC Group-2 Written Examination is 30-07-2011 (Saturday).
· The heart beats rhythemically 72 times per minute in adult man at rest and a single heart beat lasts for 0.8 of a second.
· Average heart beat rate in new born is about 130 times per minutes.
· In an average life time of 70 years, the human heart beats about 2.5 billion times, pumping about 180 million litres of blood.
· Blood raises through the arteries upto 1 metre (3 feet) per second.There are over 60,000 Kilometres 37,000 miles of capillaries in the human body.
· The name hormone was first used by the English physiologists W.M. Bayliss and E.H. Starling in 1909.
· The thyroid is the largest of the endocrine glands, weighing about 20-25 g.
· Controlled dose of insulin and sugar free diet are best preventive measures for diabetes mellitus. Glucagon is secreted to increase sugar level in blood by breaking down the glycogen in the liver into glucose. Its action is opposite to that of insulin. Glucagon starts functioning when blood glucose level falls in blood.